Thursday, November 5, 2009

Teriyaki Tofu

Welcome to my first post! Last night I embraced the Asian side of myself (which is purely in heart since I'm mostly Irish)and made teriyaki tofu with steamed brown rice and vegetables. I'm drooling all over myself just thinking about it. It tasted better than any teriyaki tofu I've eaten in a restaurant and made being healthy not only easy, but incredibly lip smackable. I got the recipe from fellow foodie blogger, www.myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com Below is a picture of my final result. Yum! (Sorry, I'm no professional photographer, though I like to pretend).



Teriyaki Tofu
14 oz. firm tofu, drained
3 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. canola or peanut oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 recipe of teriyaki sauce (below)

Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a ziplock bag with the cornstarch. Seal and shake to coat. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the tofu, turning only when sides are browned. Once browned, pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir to combine. It will thicken in the heat.

Teriyaki Sauce
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar (I use raw cane sugar or sucanant to be more healthy)
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger, minced
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients in a medium pot. Over low heat, whisk the ingredients together and simmer until the sauce thickens and bubbles!

I use the other half of the sauce on vegetables. Simply place the veggies in a skillet with a little bit of oil and saute them over high heat until soft. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir until it thickens (only a few minutes).

Serve the teriyaki tofu and veggies over steamed brown rice!
Recipe serves about 4

3 comments:

  1. Hi Codi! I'm Trey and Danielle's friend in Texas, and she told me about your amazing blog! I've been looking for some good veg recipies and I love what I've found here! Love the photos and narrative too. Good job! I'll be checking back often, and will link to you in my Wordpress blogroll.

    Peace,
    Milly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Milly! I'm so glad you like the blog! Thomas and I are having a lot of fun with it. I was so excited to see a comment. haha you made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. What vegetables did you use?

    ReplyDelete