Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thin Crust Flaxseed Pizza

So last weekend my husband's company had their annual holiday party in Las Vegas. Needless to say, it was an awesome party filled with good friends and good dancing. In fact, I danced so hard that I about ruined my poor feet in my Target brand heels...guess I need to up the quality a bit. Anywho, before leaving for the weekend I found my inner boyscout and decided to prepare as much food as I could in advance to bring with us (I was a little unsure how healthy eating would fit into the city of sin). I knew that we would be staying in a hotel room with no microwave or any other form of heating food so I decided to make meals that would taste good cold. Surprise, surprise, pizza came to mind and let me tell you...it definitely hit the spot!



Thin Crust Flaxseed Pizza
2/3 cup warm water
2 Tbs agave or honey
4 1/2 tsp yeast
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (regular whole wheat is fine too)
1/2 cup soy flour (gives the crust some good protein but you can replace it with regular wheat flour if you want)
4 Tbs ground flaxseed
1 tsp salt

Whisk together the water, agave (honey), and yeast in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until the top gets foamy. In a large bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together. Add the wet yeast mixture to the dry mixture and stir together as best you can. The dough will be dry and will mix hard. This is okay. Don't add water to it. Dump the dough out onto a counter top (doesn't need to be floured) and knead for about 5 minutes or until the dough is a smooth round ball. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes.

After the dough has risen, knead it for a minute or so on a floured counter top. Split the dough into two balls and roll each ball out and place on a non-stick pizza pan or stone.

We like to vary our pizza toppings. However, the pizza pictured here has marinara sauce, onions, red and green bell peppers, some cilantro, and Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Soy Cheese on it. Feel free to top your pizza with whatever you want!

Bake the pizza in a 425 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes 2 pizzas.

1 comment:

  1. What are the nutrition facts for this delicious looking pizza?! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete